Wood Tracking System: works better than expected

In a previous post I have written about a simple system to keep track of my woodpile: which is fresh and still needs seasoning and which is already dry enough to be used. You can read about that system here: Click me.
Now that I've used this system for the first year, I would say it works better than I expected. How can that be? Let me try to explain.
Currently I'm busy with filling up location 4 with freshly split wood, so location 1, 2, and 3 are already filled up with wood ready for seasoning and to be used next winter. And I'm getting wood to burn as it is still cold enough from location "F".
Let's say I stop with burning firewood and locations "G" and "H" are still full, they haven't been used this season.
By the start of next season, the following locations are full:
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • G
  • H
How do I know where to start next season?
I would start with "G", because that one is the "lowest" left over from last season. This means that there is no need to remember if I used letters or numbers to burn during the last burn-season.
If the situation is like this (meaning all location have been empty this season):
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
Simply start with location "1", that one contains the oldest wood. Next year the situation might be like this:
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • E
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
This means that I would start with location "6", as that is the oldest location that was filled.
Why does it work better than expected? Well, I thought that I would have to keep track if I had burnt letters or number in the last season. As you can see, this is not needed.
Hope this makes sense, let me know what you think.

Comments